UTR Number

IMS is here to assist you with the completion of your self-assessment Tax Return. To give you a basic understanding of the whole process, here is a quick guide:

  • The tax year in the UK starts on 6 April and ends on the 5 April each year.
  • If you need to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return for the first time you need to register with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). You will need to complete a form SA1 to obtain a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) which can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/self-assessment-register-for-self-assessment-and-get-a-tax-return-sa1
  • HMRC will send your UTR which is a 10 numeral reference number that is unique to self-assessment taxpayers.
  • HMRC will not advise you of your UTR Number over the telephone, so keep it safe.